When “someone is afraid of change” they should reflect on how absolutely nothing “can ever come to be without change”– Marcus Aurelius, Mediations 7.18
Innovation is one of my biggest passions. But in my spare time I also like to meditate (Vipassana / Buddhism) and reading / learning about Stoic philosophers.
In a new weekly series called Stoic Innovator, I will use (famous) quotes of stoic philosophers. I will translate these quotes to the daily routine of (corporate) innovators. Stoicism isn’t a dead philosophy. It’s alive and still applicable in our daily (innovative) lives.
- Stoicism is the most practical philosophy there is: No blabla, just do
- Stoicism is open to other insights and keeps evolving: No dogma’s.
- Stoicism is all about continuous development & learning: Keep experimenting.
- Stoicism is all about embracing change: Keep innovating
- And Stoicism was founded by an entrepreneur/merchant Zeno.
If you want to learn more about stoicism I would really recommend: The Daily Stoic by @Ryan Holiday. It’s a great book, with a daily quote and explanation. It’s the inspiration for my Stoic Innovator series.
- How to Be a Stoic: Using Ancient Philosophy to Live a Modern Life
- The Modern Marcus: Stoic Meditations for the 21st Century
- A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy
The combination of Buddhism & Stoicism:
- Stoicism & Western Buddhism: A Reflection on Two Philosophical Ways of Life
- More Than Happiness: Buddhist and Stoic Wisdom for a Sceptical Age
And the https://dailystoic.com/